Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How very Odd

I read quite a bit. Just about every day actually. I recently finished reading the Odd Thomas series, written by Dean Koontz. It's a series starting with Odd Thomas, then Forever Odd, and finally Brother Odd. These were some of the best books I have read in a very long time. They are funny, intense, exciting and dark all at the same time.

Basically, it's the story of Odd Thomas. A seemingly normal guy living in a small town. However, he has a unique gift. He is able to see the lingering dead. He takes it upon himself to try and help these spirits move on, or to help them get justice. I must say, the books were not what I was expecting when they were loaned to me by a friend. Odd is such a human character that it's hard not to connect with him in some way. I must say, the ending of the first book hit me like a ton of bricks. Yes, I'll admit, I cried a little. I like to get into my books, so sometimes it happens. In any case, I would highly recommend this series to anyone.

I just discovered that the fourth book in the series, Odd Hours, is out. I really need to get it or borrow it. From what I see, Koontz plans on writing at least six or seven books in the series. That's awesome. If the rest of the books are half as good as the first three, I'll be very happy. I also see that the website for these books has a series of webisodes that make up another Odd Thomas story. Believe me, I'll be checking them out as soon as I have some free time.

I'm currently reading another Dean Koontz book called The Taken. I'll probably finish tonight, so look for a review of it in the next few days. Later!

No comments: