Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Success!!!

In the words of Stewie Griffin, "Victory is Mine!" Yesterday I successfully upgraded my Windows 98 computer to Windows XP. I got XP free with a programming class I'm taking online through UCLA. I did some research prior to upgrading and there were many stories of people having problems. I wasn't super worried, but you can't be too safe with data.

I started out by trying to backup all the stuff that I didn't want to loose under any circumstances. Tax info, family pictures, etc. When I tried to do that, my CD burner/software was locking up the system if I tried to burn more than just a little data at a time. So after about an hour of burning a little at a time, I finally got everything I wanted.

Then I downloaded the XP drivers for my video card. You know, just so I had them locally. Then I stuck in the upgrade CD, entered the license key, and hit go. I sat back for about an hour, and then it was done. No problems at all. I installed the XP driver for my video card, and I was good to go! Rock on. Pretty damn easy I must say. I'm very pleased.

So, I'm typing this on a Win XP OS now instead of my old 98. I know what your saying, "It's about time." Well, my 98 machine was working fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right? Anyway, I'm happy that everything went well.

My vacation is going well. I had to get up at 8 am today to take the dog to the vet. I know! 8 AM! I thought this was a vacation. It's okay, I'll sleep in tomorrow. I'm hoping to go to Traverse City for an afternoon out tomorrow. I want to see Serenity, so if I do, I'll post my review on here. Maybe eat out somewhere. Hey, Pizza Hut has that buy one get one for a quarter thing. That would be sweet. Mmmmm, stuffed crust!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The sidewall on the back tire of my bike had a bulge in it. I figured it hold out for a few days. I went for a ride today, and it held while I was riding, but about 20 minutes after I got home, I heard a loud POP from the front porch. I poked my head out the door, and sure enough, the back tire blew. I've got to replace it now with the Iceman coming up in a couple of weeks. It looks like I can get it online for about $20, but it would be easier to just stop at the local bike shop. We'll just have to wait and see what they charge.

Well, I guess that's about all I have for today. Later.

No comments: