Saturday, October 11, 2008

Plink! Plink!

One thing I remember doing from a very young age is shooting guns. I used to go hunting with my dad, and it was always fun. I didn't really stick with the hunting, mostly because if you kill it, you have to clean it. Cleaning animals never really struck me as fun. I was more a fan of just the shooting. We used to go out to my great-grandparents house and just shoot at various things like pears, pine cones, pop cans, or anything else that made a decent little target.

My daughter just turned 5 on Wednesday. Today, while working on the "Honey Do" list I mentioned earlier, I ran across my old Daisy BB gun. I got that gun as a gift when I was 5, so I figured it was the perfect time to take my daughter out in the back yard and have her give it a shot. She watched me shoot it for a little while, and then she finally decided to try it. I had to help her with holding and working the safety the first few times, but within about 10 minutes, she could do everything but cock it. She had a huge grin on her face. Her grandpa will be so proud. We got some pictures of her shooting it and will be sending them to him.

I look forward to many years of going out and plunking things. Hopefully when she grows up, she'll look back on it with the same fond memories that I do. And if she decides that it's just not her thing, that's cool too. I just want her to at least try and experience everything she can. You never know what you might find that you really like.

1 comment:

J said...

Awww....brought a little tear to my eye..Love you!!