Friday, October 24, 2008

8 Bit Metal

There are two things I love. Okay, there are a lot of things that I love, but two of them are video games and music. I've played many different video games over the years, but some of my best memories are from when I was a kid playing my old NES games. I also like most different kinds of music, but my favorite genre is probably hard rock/metal. What do you get when you combine the two? 8 Bit Metal! Below are some my favorite 8 bit game songs done with a metal flair.

First up, almost everyone has played one version or another of Tetris. You know, little blocks of varying geometry fall at increasing speeds and you have to stack them properly. Very addicting. Of course, if you've spent many hours playing this game, you'll recognize this first tune.



Another of my favorite games growing up was the Megaman series. They are still making them, and most of the old ones are available. WiiWare anyone? Anyway, the best song in the game, in my opinion, is Dr. Wily's theme. Here it is in an awesome arrangement.



That brings us to my all time favorite video game theme song. I played this game for hours a day, weeks at a time as a kid. I borrowed it from a friend, and I had it for well over a year before returning it. I beat both the first "world" as well as the alternate "world" that comes after that. What can I say? It's an awesome game. The overworld theme may be one of the most recognized theme songs in video game history, possibly even more so that Mario! Below is an awesome metal rendition of the Overworld Theme from The Legend of Zelda.



And there it is. Some of my favorite 8 Bit metal. Rock on, and game on!

No comments: