Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! January 1st 2009. Yep, it's that time again. Resolutions. Almost everyone makes them, and almost no one keeps them. Of course, I'm certainly included there! But as usual, I have a couple of resolutions for this year.

First is probably one of the most common resolutions ever. To lose weight and get in shape. I'm quite a bit over-weight, and really need to get it off not only for myself, but for my family as well. I have two young kids, 5 and almost 2, and I can't keep up with either of them. I want to be able to run around and play with them and have fun. Right now, after about 5 minutes, I'm done. I know I can lose the weight. I've done it before. About four years ago I was down almost 60 pounds. I wasn't quite at my target weight, but I was close. Looking at pictures of myself from then, I was looking pretty good! I want to get back to that. My wife is making the same resolution, so hopefully we can stick it out together and get in shape!

One thing I plan on doing to facilitate that first resolution is to sign up for the Iceman Cometh mountain bike race. I seem to do better when I have some motivation, and a 27 mile mountain bike race in November is certainly some motivation! I got up this morning with the full intention of getting on their website and registering first thing. The last couple of years, registration has filled up within just a day or two, so I didn't want to miss it. Of course, my luck, this year registration does not start until February 27th at 7PM. I'm still going to sign up, I just have to wait a couple of months now. LOL.

My second resolution isn't quite as big and important as the first. The second resolution is to just practice on my guitar more. Currently, I will pick it up and play fairly regularly for a while, and then sometimes I'll go a month or two and never touch it. I enjoy it, and I really want to get good at it. I took lessons for a long time, but the financial strain of kids finally took it's toll and I had to quit. Maybe we'll see how things look this year, and maybe I can start back up again. But, before I do that, I want to make the commitment, and follow through, with just practicing more on my own. I know a lot of basic stuff, but I really still need to work to get to the point where it's second nature. Then I can work on some of the more fancy stuff that I think would be a lot of fun. Who knows, maybe I might get to the point where I can actually play with people! That would be cool.

Here's to rocking it out and getting fit in 2009!

2 comments:

J said...

We can do it Hon!!!!!!!

Debbie said...

Great to hear you are thinking about signing up for the Iceman again. Go for it!

Maybe you and Jen and Ric and I can have a contest to see who can lose the most weight as a couple?