Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Well, I'm back

I know, I haven't posted in a couple of months. While I'm all for Christmas, I really hate that time of year. I'm always stressed out, and usually in a bad mood. This one wasn't really any different. Now, to top it off, we had some completely unrelated problems. First, the our DVD player crapped out, and then within a few days, the microwave crapped out. Minor, but hey, I need to watch movies and eat right? Then, a couple of weeks ago, my car started misfiring. It started out slow, and got worse and worse. I swapped the spark plugs, and that helped for about a day. Then it started again. I should have tried changing the wires too, but my Dad said he thought it might be something else. So I took it to the dealer, and it turned out to be the spark plug wires. $125 spark plug wires. Damn.

Now here's the thing that just put it all over the top. Monday night, I was on my way back from the store. In the middle of the intersection, there was a big tire. It was dark and raining, and my attention was more focused on looking for idiots coming from the other ways. If you've ever read this blog, you know how I feel about stupid drivers. Anyway, by the time I saw the tire, it was to late. BAM! Right into the front of the car. Smashed the air dam and all the plastic behind the bumper. It also smashed the A/C condenser and radiator back a few inches. Enough to break them both and cause the radiator fluid to leak out. So now, after all the needless expense of Christmas, I have to pay the $500 deductible on my insurance. Sure, it could be worse, but after Christmas and the other problems, I don't really have $500. So, now I have no car. I don't know how long it will take to get fixed, but hopefully it won't be too long. Life sucks. Hopefully it will get better from here. I'm not holding my breath.

So, onto some better news. Our new software rolled out on Monday at work. The developers were preaching the whole way about how there won't be any problems, and everything should work fine, and that we should be able to take over support within a week or two. Yeah, right. Not gonna happen. They have had tons of problems. A lot of minor ones, but also a few pretty major ones. Of course, this means they've thrown me under the SQL bus. Basically, I was given some reports to write, however, I have had no training in SQL Enterprise Manager, or with writing stored procedures, and I haven't worked with the reporting software we're using in over two years. BUT, they need the report by today. Needless to say, it didn't get done. I think I have the procedure written, but that took me all day, and I don't even know if it's going to work. Guess they should have thought of that before yesterday. I like to think I'm pretty smart, and pick up things pretty fast, but I'm not God. "We expect you to learn SQL, stored procedures, Crystal Reports, and write these reports in two days." Yeah, good luck with that one.

Since I've been away for a while, I have a good number of links to post. I don't really feel like putting them all up, but here's a few. Conspiracy Theorists beware! I've been on this huge google video kick lately, so I have quite a few from there. I was never too much into yo-yo's, but this kid almost makes me want to take it up. This is just crazy, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. Here is a site with a ton of comics. Hilarious is all I have to say. Ninja's rule, and if you disagree, I'll send my army of Ninja Monkey's to kick your ass. Don't play this one around your kids, but it should teach you to be aware of your surroundings. One last one for the road. Tell your mom I said thanks. Later.

No comments: